Subscribe via email

Subscribe to Americans in Singapore by Email Verification of your email address is required to prevent spam

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Rules

Today, while standing in the taxi queue outside the grocery store, I watched as young mothers and their children got into the taxis -- without car seats. It is just downright strange for me to see children not restrained in a car. My boys rode in a car seat the day I brought them home from the hospital. We couldn't take them home without one. That was 25 years ago (sheesh! I'm getting old). I never had any trouble with them giving me attitude for having to ride in one because that's just the way it always was. They didn't know any differently.

Yet, how are American parents going to handle it when they repatriate and their children are forced to ride in a car seat or booster seat? Do European countries have car seat laws the way the U.S. does? What about Canada?

Singapore is oftentimes criticized for their many rules and regulations (no littering, no chewing gum, etc.), but I actually think the U.S. has more than Singapore. We're just used to them because they've been around for as long as we can remember. What do you think?

No comments: