Subscribe via email

Subscribe to Americans in Singapore by Email Verification of your email address is required to prevent spam

Thursday, April 5, 2007

Thursday in Singapore

Yesterday, I had book club and we discussed "For One More Day" by Mitch Albom. I've been watching Mitch (and whom I've always called "Mikey" Lupica because back in the day, I thought he was "cute") on ESPN's Sunday morning "The Sports Writers". WHH always thought "Mikey" was a smart-ass, and maybe he is, I just never paid much attention to what he said because I thought he was cute. DUH! :D

I read Albom's first book, "Tuesdays with Morrie" through tears. WHH bought, read, and enjoyed "The Five People You Meet in Heaven", but I didn't read it because I thought it'd be another crying jag for me.

"For One More Day" is a very good story set in the 50's-60's. I identified with almost every character in the book, and because of that, I was reading it through tears. Every chapter, I choked back sobs, and I did my best to read the words. Hell, just writing this and remembering the story is bringing tears to my eyes. Many parts of that story bring back the hard part of my early life, and my mother is a SAINT! I won't go beyond that because it's just too personal. Believe me now, or believe me later -- my MOM IS A SAINT!

I can't go ahead and let all of that "cry" out because my eyes will be swollen for at least 5-7 days! Seriously. Just ask my poor WHH. He knows. I think something's wrong with my eyes -- a woman should be able to cry whenever the hell she needs to and not look like she's been punched in both eyes repeatedly. I've tried every kind of remedy -- even Preparation H. While it reduces some of the swelling, it still takes DAYS for my eyes to get back to normal.

OK, enough of that...but more sports stuff!
_____________


WHH has season tickets to Albirex Niigata's home games. Albirex is managed by our friend, Bogdan, who played pro on a team here in Singapore prior to managing. As a matter of fact, last night I was chatting with one of our "adopted" sons, Nabil, and he knew exactly who Bogdan is, and the team for which he played. Cool!

We were only there for the first half of the game, but it was exciting! For some reason our drummers and cheering section were MIA last night. Such a shame because we scored 2 goals in the first half; I captured one on this video. Check it, will ya? It's cool...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi there,
just wandered by.=) I loveee tuesdays with morrie and the 5 ppl u meet in heaven too. dont't worry bout it, i cried thru the whole book too. =) cant wait to read the latest one by Mitch Albom!
btw, im a supporter of the albirex niigata team in spore too! haven been to the matches for some time thou. ahh..the pity.