Subscribe via email

Subscribe to Americans in Singapore by Email Verification of your email address is required to prevent spam

Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Dreadful Day

I woke up around 8 -- too early because I didn't go to sleep until after 1 this morning and that was with the help of a sleeping pill. I just don't sleep well when the WHH is gone.

So, I drag my ass out of the bed and wander into the kitchen to start my coffee. As I stood near the coffee-maker looking out the window at the Shangri-La, I started thinking about that stupid Mr. Masturbator guy. Even though I was alone, I laughed out loud at the thought of the pervy creep.

My eyes wandered down toward the pool as usual because it's just nice to look down there, but then something caught my eye. I looked more closely, and I saw someone floating at the shallow end of the pool. I thought, "Whoever that is must be timing how long he can hold his breath." Our boys always loved to play that game. I peered around the corner to see if there was someone else down there, but I couldn't see anyone.

I walked into the dining room to get a better look, and to see if the person had come up for air yet... I watched the person for a few more seconds... NO! I ran into my office to get my cell phone to call the guard house. I was telling myself the whole time, "It doesn't matter if they think you're a nosey bitch for calling them." I watched as the guard ran across the pool deck to see the person in the pool. I could see him yelling at the person, and then he ran frantically to get the pole to pull the person out.

As soon as I saw him trying to recover the person with the pole, I realized he was going to need help. The guard couldn't weigh but more than 90 pounds, and he's probably only about 5' 3"? I already had my cellphone in my pocket, so I grabbed my handbag because my keys are hooked onto the zipper. I got off the lift and ran toward the pool area, but by the time I got there the guard was GONE, but the body was still in the pool!

I could see that it was a woman, but she was fully submerged in the water at the bottom of the pool. Even if I jumped into the water, I wouldn't be able to lift her out. I ran back into the building and yelled after the guard, but there was no answer. "FUCK!" My brain was screaming, "I NEED HELP I have to get her out of the water!"

I started crying because I couldn't think of anyone to call to help me. Then, I saw a couple get out of the lift and run toward the pool. I ran after them, and the husband got the woman out of the water. The wife began administering CPR, but there was no response.

The other security guard came onto the scene and told us that the police and ambulance were on their way, but it was too late. The woman was gone. I saw her belongings at one of the tables, and got her towel to cover her up.

The guard left again, and appeared a few minutes later to say that the victim's husband was upstairs in their apartment (he'd thought he was out of town, but then noticed his car in the garage).

This poor man is going to have to live the rest of his life knowing that while he slept, his wife died alone in a swimming pool.

It is dreadfully and horribly sad, and I am so sorry that I was too slow to help that poor woman. I have no more words.


Mrs RW said...

oh, God. I am so sorry. You read about this stuff all the time and never dream you could be the one to discover something like this. Are you doing okay? What a time for WHH to be gone.

You're in my thoughts, girl.

Geeky Tai-Tai said...

Thank you very much, Mrs. RW. I remembered that we had some Xanax, so I broke one in half (.25) and took it about an hour ago. At least the sick feeling in my stomach is gone and my heart has stopped pounding. I'm probably going to need a nap in a bit.

Cheena Bukit said...

hey> so sorry! I was shocked and stunned that this happened. Hope your feeling ok? I bet you must have felt like death and shaking all over with shock?

Take care ok! HUGSSSSSSS

Miss Britt said...

Oh my God. Oh honey, you've got to be so torn up. I have absolutely no words of any help. I'm so, so sorry.

Geeky Tai-Tai said...

Cheena... I was actually quite calm during the whole thing, but later I was a basket case.

Miss Britt... yes, I was a mess last night, but after getting a good night's sleep I feel a lot better today.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement. I love my blog buddies!

Curiosity.Killer said...

Oh, I do hope you're alright -- don't stay indoors too long... go out for a little bit. Shop a little, go for that chocolate cake and tea. Read a trashy romance novel... something to get your mind off.


Shelli said...

There is probably nothing you could have done anyway. Don't fret.

SJ said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through this, Diana! I do hope you realize she was probably already gone before you even saw her. Even if you'd run straight down, most likely it was already too late to save her.

Sending you comforting vibes, hon. And big hugs.

Karla said...

Oh my god that is horrible in so many ways. There was nothing you could do, but I understand you feeling bad. That's natural.


Have the T-Shirt said...

I'm so sorry you had to experience that! It's such a shame that the outcome couldn't have been more uplifting :(