Subscribe via email

Subscribe to Americans in Singapore by Email Verification of your email address is required to prevent spam

Saturday, November 10, 2007

My Saturday

So, I got my new elliptical cross-trainer this morning. OMG! It is the Rolls-Royce of cross-trainers -- so smooth, and it's going to kick my ass!.

After the delivery, assembly, and very short educational tour, it was time for my hair appointment with Esther at Casey's. This was our first meeting, and I told her I wanted to have my hair "lightened-up" and "trimmed". I even demonstrated the technique used by my previous stylist, Arthur. He would take some of my hair, twirl it around, and then scrape the scissors blade over it to thin it out. When it's styled, it's "phfoofier" (yes, that is a word because I said so). Esther did a great job! (Picture taken with camera phone because WHH has our good camera so that he can get lots of pics of my "bouncing baby boys" in the U.S.)

I went to an Italian restaurant for a calzone, glass of wine, and to read my new book, "A Tragic Legacy" by Glenn Greenwald. I was so absorbed with the book that I didn't hear the waiter approach. When I saw him next to the table, I looked up at him quizzically. He said, "Madame are you a doctor?" "No", I replied. "Well, ma'am, what is your occupation then?"

I just looked at him because I couldn't understand why he was so interested in my occupation. I finally said with a smile, "Tai-tai". He laughed at that and then said, "I've never seen you here before. Are you studying because you just read, read, read?"

"Oh, my husband and I come in here all of the time (I made sure that he saw my wedding ring). I know you've seen me before because I've seen you. I'm just reading this because I'm want to." I showed him the book, and he thought about it a bit before saying, "where are you from?"

"I'm American, and no I did not vote for President Bush either time."

He looked around a bit to be sure there weren't any other customers that needed attention before asking, "Ma'am can you tell me why America wants to make the rest of the world do what they want?"

"I hope that you understand that Americans are not bad people."

He smiled, "I know all Americans are not bad, but your country is pushing their ways on us. Why must we always listen to your country? Where did you get that book?"

"That's a very good question that I don't think I can answer. The nice thing about being an American, though, is that people can still write scathing commentary on our political leaders and I can still choose to buy and read it." I told him that I bought the book from Borders and showed him the sticker. He said, "Oh, that is too much for me."

"When I'm finished reading it, I will give it to you."

"Ma'am, only if it is a gift from your heart."

"Yes, it will be a gift from this American's heart."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My ass needs kicking too? Which elliptical trainer did you get?

Geeky Tai-Tai said...

It's a Precor, and gawdammit, it WILL kick your ass... in a smooth kinda way ;-)

Anonymous said...

Uhm...I know this is fluffy of me to say, but damn your hair looks sexayyyy!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to keep bugging you about your elliptical when you have bigger issues on your mind... Where to buy? (I tried googling but no success)

Geeky Tai-Tai said...

Here's a link to the Precor website. There is a dealer locator button at the top left.

So far, I really like this one, but it's a very different feel from the last one. I only did 20 minutes today since I haven't worked out in a couple of weeks.

This one is also the top-rated cross-trainer at Consumer Reports.