Subscribe via email

Subscribe to Americans in Singapore by Email Verification of your email address is required to prevent spam

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Sometimes We Need A Little Help from Friends

I was going to write about our anniversary evening, but something more important has come up and I need to ask for your help.

image


I know many of you don't understand this blogging business or the friendships that I've made over the last couple of years. After I started reading blogs, I began to know these people -- probably even better than some of my In Real Life (IRL) friends.

We interact with comments on each other's blogs, Flickr, Twitters, chats, etc. My circle of blogging friends are talented writers, smart as hell, and almost always very funny. I'm always drawn to people who have a sense of humor. When a fellow blogger has a crisis and shares it with us, the blogging community rallies in support. These friendships are real. Connecting with other bloggers all over the world has helped me tremendously while living in Singapore. I'm not so sure I would've adjusted as well as I have without knowing these wonderful people were out there and willing to lend a hand if I needed it.

One of my favorite blog friends is, Lisa, a 41-year old wife and mother of two beautiful daughters. I've been reading her since the beginning of last year. She spent a lot of last year in a coma as well as suffering amnesia resulting from surgery for ovarian cancer. Even though she was in the hospital or at home recovering from March to September, she still managed to graduate from college in October. She went back to work and started working on her Master's degree. She is an amazing woman, honest and forthright.

The following is a quote from Lisa's Promises, Promises post from last November:

Changed jobs
Battled depression
Seen my father on a ventilator after having two heart attacks
Turned 40 and had a mid-life crisis
Battled depression
Had cancer
Survived six surgeries
Was in a coma
Had amnesia
Battled depression
Couldn’t walk
Had numerous other medical complications
Battled depression
My dad had a heart transplant
My mother was diagnosed with cancer
Battled depression
Graduated from school
Started Graduate school
Battled depression
Lost 60 pounds
Battled depression


Yesterday, Lisa wrote that she has cancer again, and it has spread. As I said, when a friend is going through rough times, the blogging community rallies. In this case, Miss Ann Thrope, decided to host a raffle of one of her beautiful afghans to earn enough money for Lisa and her family to go to Disneyworld. Since then, a lot of other bloggers have donated prizes to the raffle too. Check out Miss Ann's post for the additional prizes. All of them are very generous and given from the heart.

This is a cause very near and dear to my heart. I hope you'll consider a donation.

Lisa and her family went through hell last year (that is an understatement if there ever was one). They deserve to have some fun times together without worrying about finances.

A couple of other things I ask of you... go over to Lisa's place and leave a supportive comment. Yes, even if you don't know her. Bloggers love comments and feedback. At a time like this, it is even more important.

If you believe in the power of prayer, I would ask you to keep Lisa and her family in yours. If you don't believe in prayer, please just think good thoughts for them and donate as much money as you can afford.

Thank you, my friends.

1 comment:

Geeky Tai-Tai said...

Something strange is going on with Blogger and comments... I noticed this morning that my replies to everyone were gone. Now? All of them are gone!

To all of you who took the time to leave a comment and to offer well-wishes to Alex, thank you. You're all very special to me and I'm proud to call you friends!

AnonymousThank you for the tip about the "Send cards and letters to..." I try to be very careful not to spread urban myths. When I get those forwarded emails, I actually take the time to verify and de-bunk. I guess I got caught this time -- OOPS!